Conwell-Egan Catholic High Schools’ history begins in 1957 as Bishop Egan High School, a co-institutional school located on Levittown Parkway in Levittown, Pennsylvania.
In 1966, because of the burgeoning population in the Lower Bucks County area, Bishop Egan was separated into two schools: Bishop Egan for boys, located in a new facility in Fairless Hills, and Bishop Conwell for girls, located in the original building in Levittown. Twenty-seven years later in 1993, the two schools were merged to form Conwell-Egan Catholic High School. Conwell-Egan Catholic continues its mission of providing the best possible Catholic education for secondary students in the Lower Bucks County area and beyond.
On January 6, 2012, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced that Conwell-Egan Catholic, along with three other Catholic high schools in the Philadelphia region, would permanently close at the end of the 2011-2012 school year.
Conwell-Egan Catholic appealed the decision to the Archdiocese not to close citing the fact that it is the only Catholic high school in Lower Bucks County. Major efforts were put in place to save the school, including the raising of over $3 million. On February 24, nearly 7 weeks after the closing announcement, Archbishop Chaput announced that CEC would remain open.