Conwell-Egan Catholic’s English teachers are happy to recommend to you books that will prepare you for the upcoming school year, complement what you have learned, keep your reading skills sharp, and truly encourage within you a love for literature. We believe that there is something here for everyone. Enjoy!
Each grade level has a required reading selection for all tracks. *Honors students are to complete the required reading and the additional book listed for their grade level. Students are to annotate their thoughts, comments, or questions in their books; students may likewise use removable post-it notes instead if their books are borrowed. Students may be encouraged by their teacher to keep a Dialectical Response Journal in chart form including any unfamiliar words and their definitions, noteworthy thoughts, connections, and reactions: note the chapter/page number and textual reference on the left of the chart and comments on the right of the chart.
AP students are to see their AP teacher before they leave for summer vacation for a detailed list of their assignments.
Teachers will give an assessment of the required reading(s) in September. Assessments may vary.
Summer Reading Requirements for 2016-2017
- Honors: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Track 2: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- Honors: Lord of the Flies- William Golding
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – Robert Louis Stevenson
- Track 2: Night by Elie Wiesel
- AP Language and Composition: Please see or email Ms. Rawling for your summer assignment packets. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Honors: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Track 2: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- AP Literature: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster
- Honors: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Track 2: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini