“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
The goal of the service program is to challenge students to be involved in their local communities by volunteering in response to the needs that are present there.
The service requirement has been designed to achieve the following objectives:
- to emphasize to both parents and students the importance CEC places on service to people especially those in need, by requiring a minimum of 70 hours of service for graduation.
- to provide the students the opportunity to reflect and learn from their experiences. Each student is required to submit a 2 to 3 paragraph reflection after completing the work.
- Juniors and seniors are to perform a minimum of TWENTY HOURS of Christian service; freshmen and sophomores are to perform a minimum of FIFTEEN HOURS of Community service outside of school. The service should involve personal interaction with others. Students are expected to remain faithful to service commitments until completed.
- It is recommended that students return to their parishes to perform service. Students may also volunteer with a non-profit organization that provides service to the community (no political or for-profit organizations).
- Students will be graded on a pass/fail basis on their report card. Failure to complete the Service Requirement will result in failure to continue to the next grade level or participate in any school privilege, including proms and graduation exercises.
- See the attached sheet for some examples of places to complete community service.
FRESHMEN SERVICE MUST BE COMPLETED BY FEBRUARY 12.
SOPHOMORE SERVICE MUST BE COMPLETED BY FEBRUARY 5.
JUNIOR SERVICE MUST BE COMPLETED BY FEBRUARY 5.
SENIOR SERVICE MUST BE COMPLETED BY JANUARY 29.
All hours will need to be submitted by completing this Community Service Form: The form should be given to either Brother Larry or the Office of Academics.
For additional questions, please contact Brother Larry at firstname.lastname@example.org